2017 Service To Seniors Award Nominations
3rd Annual Service to Seniors Award
As part of the Council on Aging of Ottawa’s 40th Anniversary, we initiated a new award to recognize those who share our values of making a difference in the lives of seniors in Ottawa.
Nomination Deadline March 31, 2017, Nomination Form (see below)
To publicly recognize individuals who have volunteered their time to make a difference in the lives of seniors in the Ottawa community in a variety of ways. For 2017, we are specifically seeking nominations of individuals who have volunteered their time in ways that have fostered social inclusion and/or reduced social isolation of seniors.
- Award of Recognition
- Two complimentary tickets to the Council on Aging of Ottawa’s Annual Spring Luncheon where the recipient will be recognized
- The nominee must be an Ottawa resident of any age who provides specific and considerable volunteer services to either an individual senior or a group of seniors in the Ottawa area
- Nominations must include a summary of volunteer activities, letters of support and a signed nomination form
Summary of Volunteer Activities
Please provide a summary of volunteer activities which capture all the volunteer work that the nominee does with seniors. The summary should include:
- Approximately 300 words
- Dates or time period of volunteer service
- Specifics of the type of volunteer service/activities
- Specifics on the benefits gained by this service
- The number of seniors served (if applicable)
- The number of volunteer hours
- Additional information or details
Letters of Support
Please provide letters of support or testimonials (no more than three) which demonstrate the impact of the volunteer’s work with seniors. These letters should:
- Be written by those benefitting directly from the service provided by the nominee, or written by someone with detailed knowledge of the nominee’s volunteer service
- Provide details on the specifics of the volunteer activities – the nature of the volunteer activities and number of hours volunteered
- Outline clearly how a given senior or group of seniors benefitted
Please note the following:
- Only one nomination is required per nominee.
- The nominee must sign the nomination form. Without consent, the nominee cannot be considered for this award.
- Nominations may include copies of photographs, newsletters, certificates and other supporting materials.
- Applications and documentation may be provided in English or French.
- Only volunteer activities related to seniors will be considered for the award.
Evaluation of Nominations
A Nomination Review Committee will review the submissions based on established criteria and how closely the nominations align with the criteria. The committee will also consider the following in their evaluation process:
- Need: There is a need for the volunteer service provided within the community.
- Impact: The volunteer service provided impacts seniors directly and improves the quality of their lives particularly in relation to social inclusion.
- Focus: Volunteer work involves a specialized skill, talent or expertise.
- Diversity: The nomination demonstrates a wide variety of volunteer activities.
- Leadership: The nominee demonstrates leadership through planning, organizing or initiating a new project or programming for the benefit of seniors.
- Originality: The volunteer service provided is unique and demonstrates thoughtfulness of senior’s needs.
- Volunteer Time: The amount of volunteer hours is noteworthy.
- The Awards Committee will select a recipient by April 7, 2017.
- The recipient and the nominator will be notified immediately.
Presentation of Award
- An announcement will be made in the COA e-Newsletter INFO-FLASH.
- An official presentation will be made at the Annual Spring Luncheon on April 19, 2017.
- Recognition will also be placed in the Spring Luncheon Program Book
The Council on Aging of Ottawa
101 – 1247 Kilborn Place, Ottawa, ON K1H 6K9
Phone: 613-789-3577, x.101
If you are unable to download the nomination form, please contact Lise-Michelle Bouchard to submit your nomination.Service to Seniors Award Forms 2017