Building an Age-Friendly Business Community
An Age-Friendly Business adapts its services and environment to the needs of its older customers by including features such as wider aisles and easily opened doors, clear and readable signage, places to sit and refresh and patient and helpful staff.
View the current Directory of AFO Recognized Businesses.
Can you name an Ottawa business that makes an extra effort to better serve its older customers?
The goal of this age-friendly project is to engage seniors in recognizing, acknowledging and highlighting exemplary age-friendly business practices in Ottawa.
Seniors are a large and growing customer base in Ottawa. Businesses must adapt their services and environments to help seniors age actively and independently. Through your participation, Age-Friendly Ottawa will recognize the businesses that are making an extra effort for their senior customers.
Other businesses will become aware of these best practices. Your efforts will encourage other businesses to adopt Age-Friendly practices and entice them to make further improvements to their environment.
A Win- Win Approach
Seniors Benefit By:
- Identifying the features that are most important to them
- Contributing to transforming their community into a more friendly and safe environment to grow old in
- Recognizing and commending the businesses they value and trust
- Having their voices heard
Businesses Benefit By:
- Growing and improving their business
- Being recognized by seniors for their exemplary practices
- Receiving a certificate, window decal and public recognition
- Becoming more aware and responsive to the diverse needs of an aging
Find out more
I’m a SENIOR that would like to nominate my local business:
- An Invitation to Seniors to name an Ottawa business that makes an extra effort to better serve its older customers.
- The Age-friendly Checklist for Seniors – to use when visiting a local business.
I’m a BUSINESS that would like to know more:
- An Invitation to Businesses to become one of the first to be recognized as Age-friendly.
- Growing Your Age-Friendly Busines – See the Resource Guide