Be Winter Ready – for Drivers
A driving tip brought to you by the COA’s Older Driver Sub-committee
Below are some tips from the toolkit and the Winter driving tips for Ontario drivers.
Before you leave
- Check the weather forecast. If it looks bad, delay your trip if you can
- Visit Ontario511 to find out where plows are on provincial highways
- Use Ontario 511 to check road conditions:
- Clear ice and snow from your windows, lights, mirrors and roof
On the road
- Slow down and stay in control
- Many winter collisions happen because drivers are going too fast for road conditions.
- Don’t use cruise control on wet, snowy or icy pavement – it reduces your reaction time and vehicle control.
- Steer gently on curves and in slippery conditions. Hard braking, quick acceleration and sudden gear changes can cause you to skid.
- If you do skid, release your brakes and steer in the direction you want to go. Be careful not to steer too far though or the car could spin.
It takes longer to stop on slippery roads – make sure there’s extra space between you and other vehicles.
For more information on Winter driving, go to: ontario.ca/winter-driving
Top 10 Tips for safe winter driving video.