Navigating In & Out of Hospital
Participants will determine how to prepare for, navigate through, and return home from both a planned and unplanned hospital admission. Discussion will include powers of attorney, reducing the risk of readmission, as well as recovery and convalescence.
Recovery: The Lost Art of Convalescence, 2022, by Gavin Francis, MD
This is a book about illness and recovery, about healing and convalescence. Illness is as much about culture as it is about disease, and our ideas and expectations of the body profoundly influence the ways in which we fall ill. They also influence our paths to recovery.
Services and Supports
Going Home Program
- Must be age 65+
- Supports the first 10 days following hospital discharge
- Supports timely, safe discharge of frail seniors from hospital
- Prevents readmission to the ED and/or hospital during service
- Contributes to the reduction of 30-day readmission rate by connecting client to ongoing community support services
Services include: Transportation, Home Visit, Meal Delivery, Homemaking, Personal Support, and Respite
Home and Community Care Support Services
Helps patients and families:
- Leave the hospital and recover at home
- Remain safely at home with the support of health and other care professionals
- Find community services that support healthy, independent living
- Avoid the emergency department when possible
Community Support Services
Supports people to live and age well in their own homes and communities by:
- Facilitating reintegration from hospital to home
- Averting preventable admissions to hospital and long-term care facilities
- Achieving optimum health and active living
Wabano Centre for Aboriginal Health
Creates and delivers services to prevent ill health, treat illness and provide support and aftercare. PROGRAMS: Clinic (holistic health), healthy living, housing support, workshops & recreation.
Métis Nation of Ontario Healing & Wellness (Community Support Services)
613-748 1880 ext 303
www.metisnation.org/programs and services/healing wellness/
Friendly visits, medical transportation, and caregiver support services for Indigenous people.
Services and Supports
In and Out of Hospital Guide COA (2013 edition) (available upon request from COA)
Legal Documents / Advance Care Planning