The goals of the Age-Friendly Housing Committee are to explore and advocate for appropriate, affordable, accessible and available housing on the continuum from independent living to long-term care for older people in the Ottawa region.
- Study and evaluate housing options for seniors
- Provide information and education about housing options for older adults in Ottawa
- Provide input to the municipal and community initiatives related to housing
- Track and assess policies that will affect housing for seniors
Housing options for older adults range from living independently in the community (owning, renting or sharing a home), to living in a residence with some supports (assisted living and retirement homes) or living in a long-term care home.
Most older adults want to live independently, at home and in familiar communities for as long as possible. Some want to downsize or find a new home in a welcoming community that better suits their needs as they grow older. Before you decide about your living situation, it is best to gather as much information as possible and to explore your options.
This Guide will help you better understand your housing options and make informed decisions about where you want to live now and in the future. Compare your options and discuss them with family members and friends. Consider asking for advice from a lawyer, financial advisor or real-estate agent. Then decide what works best for you.
Canada needs a specific seniors’ housing strategy, which would include measures to:
- Increase the number of new seniors’ units to match seniors demographic place in Canadian society. This means targeting 17% of new units right now and moving to 25% by 2036.
- Fund new co-housing and co-op housing projects.
- Assure that seniors housing is a part of all new forms of housing development.
- Plan for housing to include services to provide care “closer to home” when seniors need support to remain independent in their own home and socially connected.
We are seeking members who have a significant interest in seniors housing issues. To request to join this committee please email the Chair, Miriam Fry at email@example.com.